Monday, September 21, 2009

Apps and more apps OVI Store, and Midomi vs. Shazam

Hello again. I don't intend to do a review of the whole OVI store, or do some commentary on it against other on-line content stores out there. I'm sure other more capable (and smarter) people will give us all the insights and market trends.

No, I just want to share some of the apps that have started showing up and provide what I've experienced so far.

My main interest, as it relates to this blog, is in enjoying video and on that front there is something to report. I must say that I haven't seen any big interesting things at the OVI store so far for the N97.

I think I should do some research with the N96 to see if S60 FP2 has some more OVI content.

Some of the Apps I've found and loaded to my device:

- Nokia Handwriting calculator. It's as the name says a handwriting calculator. Still requires some learning, but it has some wow factor to it in writing long calculations as you would on paper (well almost).

- eBook reader: There's a few of those out there. The one I tried worked well. Only downside is that because you need the screen ON to read, your battery will be consumed quite quickly. Good idea, but needs a less hungry screen to work.

- Compass: There are a few of them out there. Again, cool idea, but in practice isn't very reliable unless you have a good GPS signal and you "shake" the device to pick North again.

Now, there are a couple of Music recognition programs that are free and work great. Midomi and Shazam.
I've used both and both deliver what they promised, finding out the music information after listening to a tune that you sing, whistle or otherwise can pick up with the microphone. IMHO, I liked the options that Midomi gives you to watch youtube videos of the song and find more information about the artist, album or song.

Shazam is also good and let's you find the song in the Nokia Music Store if it's available in your region.

There seem to be a lot of apps loaded every week, so from time to time I'll post if I find something that catches my eye.

Feel free to drop a comment if you've found some cool apps there.

No comments:

FREE TRIAL