Wednesday, May 7, 2008

ImTOO 3GP encoder and H264

Since my early posts I've been advising people that I'm a user of
ImToo encoding solutions. I bought these encoders because they were cheap and got good feedback from other users of these solutions. Also because I wanted something to make the conversion from DVD to portable format easier.


I ended up buying the bundle of ImToo 3GP Suite that includes both the DVD to 3GP Encoder and the 3GP Encoder (Above).


First I recommend you download the software and try it before buying. Usually ImToo tools allow you to encode short videos or encode up to 5 minutes. This is great as it will allow you to try out the different format and settings until you feel comfortable that this is what you want.

Since I started using ImToo there's been a flood of encoders in the web. Mostly due to the popularity of the iPod video and other PMP devices. Back in 2002 when I started creating videos for mobile phones there were not a lot of options and the Nokia Multimedia Converter was one of the only ones available to do 3GP and h263. Real also had RealProducer which is a good software if you want to use realvideo format. But I've stuck with them since it works for me and if ImToo doesn't work with something then I can always use SUPER.


Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Some things to keep in mind...
  • The bitrate, frame rate and resolution you set will only work if it's a combination that's supported by your phone. For more information see here.
  • The ZOOM option in Imtoo encoders work in conjunction with the Aspect setting in the Video section of the settings. I tend to use the ZOOM option and not play around with the Aspect ratio setting. But you may want to try to use either.
    • Further, zoom only works reliably if the source video doesn't have black bars as part of the picture frame. If they do then the black bars will be part of the video. See here.
  • 3GP, 3GPP2, MP4 and MPEG-4 AVC all work in Nseries devices but you got to have the right settings.
  • If using h264 codec don't forget to expand the Expert section of the settings and set the coder to 0 (zero).
  • DVDs are all created differently. The same settings that work for 1 dvd will cause audio synch problems with another dvd or a jumpy picture.
    • This is also due to the fact that some DVDs are encoded at 23.987 fps others at 29.97 fps others at 24 fps
    • Some dvds have interlaced frames others have progressive frames.
    • Some dvds have AC3 audio some have ProLogic2 or other audio formats. Some have only PCM audio.
    • Remember to select the right Language track and right subtitle if you want to have those enabled
    • TIP: Try first to encode one chapter of the dvd and try it out, if something is wrong right click on the chapter and play around with the settings. Email Imtoo support to get some more tips on how to solve specific problems they usually respond within a day or two.
    • If it doesn't work sometimes it's not the fault of the encoder or the device or you, but a combination of different factors. No matter how hard you try sometimes some dvds are just difficult to find the correct settings to encode.
  • Other DVD encoders may be more robust/smarter than Imtoo. So again shop around, try different solutions and if you find something that totally blows aways Imtoo please share in the comments so I can also try it! :)
  • Have fun!, that's what it's all about.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, Loco. Was wondering if you can advice me about some method of streaming video from my pc to my phone via wifi(in order to connect it to the tv via tv-out, its an N95-3). Have tried Orb but it pauses a lot. The catch is the videos are encoded in 640x480 xvid with high bitrate. Have you succeded in doing so if you have tried that is.

El_loco said...

Hi ariel,

VGA quality videos in xVid format are very hard to play locally on the N95 let alone stream them.

The videos are not likely to play correctly on the N95 if that's the case then it's even harder to stream and it may not be possible with xvid format.

The only solution I could think of for you is to use a Playstation3. That will work.

Another would be to convert the videos to MPEG-4 then use Home Media Server to stream them to the phone and then watch them on the TV but it may be too much for the CPU.

I'll do some tests.

Anonymous said...

Hi there again. Maybe my mistake but when I encode videos with Mediacoder, I can choose xvid as the codec when using mp4 container, I've gone as high as 2700 in bitrate, VGA 30fps and the videos play smoothly. Been testing last night with Orb again and I think the limitation comes from the pc side for some videos it takes longer for the cpu to transcode and this causes a bottleneck. Sorry in my previous post I didn't mention it was 640x480 mp4(xvid). This is according to mediacoder (http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/)
But anyway I've done the same in SUPER, I mean mp4 container with xvid codec in VGA and the videos play great in my N95, even with TV-out. Sorry for the long post, best regardas and thanks for your time.

Anonymous said...

hi!
can you include this to your useful posts?
I had a hard time finding this since I forgot which seting in expert I have to change.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

May I request that this post be inluded on your "Useful posts" Post?
I had a hard time finding this post it is very helpful for IMToo users.

Anonymous said...

"If using h264 codec don't forget to expand the Expert section of the settings and set the coder to 0 (zero)."

Thank you thank you thank you !!!!
Mate, I can't thank you enough !!

Unknown said...

Hello, I downloaded the free version of ImToo 3GP encoder but I only see h263, xvid or mpeg4 codec, how can I use the h264 codec? Is it present only in the commercial version?

El_loco said...

It may be called Mpeg-4 AVC

FREE TRIAL